Sunday 16 January 2011

Commercial House Final Round

The K&A in Bath was once again the venue for the final round of the Commercial House. I thought that I might be in for a good draw today and in all fairness I probably did get one of the better pegs that our team had drawn, trouble was we had a bad draw. I found myself two pegs away from where I had drawn last week, I was on the brambles up from the George, at least the peg had been rested last week as Martyn Reyatt only managed 2lb+ from it (he he)!

I won't bore you with the rigs I set up because they were the same ones as I used last week. In fact before I had set up a rig I could see Graham Hunt 2 pegs up playing a fish! A pike of about 3lb took his plummet, Graham landed it and then took it back down the canal off the match length to return it alive. Vinny Lunn was to my left and he had no pike trouble, but did have a dog in his peg, his new puppy! I reckoned this match was going to be much better than last week, and so I went positive with my feeding. I put a big Preston pot of liquidized bread in at 4 metres, a decent amount of chopped worm and caster across left and a big ball of joker and caster across right. Onto the punch and I had 3 small roach and then a 6oz hybrid but the wind was really bad and trying to present the bait correctly and read the float was very difficult. A 10oz skimmer then graced my net but after this it was just small roach.

45 mins in and the bread line was going nowhere and as Graham had taken a decent perch I looked across myself. I put a lobworm on and shipped across, I had 2 quick bites from perch but they were only a few ounces each. No more bites so I tried the caster rig over this line with red maggot on the hook. This was good for 10 mins, with a 6oz hybrid and a 3 or 4 2oz roach, but then it was tiny perch so I thought I'd have an early look on the caster line (after I fed some joker right and left of my bread line). I caught 3 small roach and stuck a caster on, the float buried straight away and and I had a roach around 3 or 4 oz, followed by a couple more. I then spent the next two hours swapping between taking the odd caster roach up to 6oz, and catching small fish on bloodworm at 4 mtrs. Things were going well until a large barge came through and, I don't know why, after this my far bank never provided another bite.

When the scales arrived Graham Hunt had 6lb 1oz of predators (and he had another pike that of course didn't count lol), Vinny had 5lb, I weighed 6lb 11oz which was top (just beating Anfy Ottoway's 6lb 7oz) until the last 3 pegs down by the school and bay. Here Andy Power won the section with 9lb 4oz and either side of him had 7lb weights. So no dosh again, but I had really enjoyed today as I had put more time into the caster after realising my error the week before. The walk back to the car was fun as the rain became monsoon like and everything was thoroughly soaked as it was chucked into the car.

The match was won by legend Shaun Townsend (and he was top individual in the league and the knockout winner, and I had to mention this because he bought me a pint) from 1st peg past the swing bridge with 14lb. He had skimmers, perch and some big roach. Kev Dicks was joint 2nd, with 12lb+ from the turning bay (perch on the feeder) with Des Shipp managing the same weight from the bay at the Malthouse. There were quite a few weights today of 8lb+ but once again there were some very tough areas.

Thatchers A won the A div on the day and won overall, Town and Country A were relegated to the the B div, which was quite funny because Town and Country B were promoted from the B div! So that's the end of that for another season, well done to the winners, and well done to the organisers Mark Harper, Vinny Lunn and Mike Goodhind (although Mike is useless at reading out the results lol!). One more match for me next Sunday at Chilton Trinity before I go under the knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment