Thursday 5 December 2013

BOWEL CANCER UK FUNDRAISING AND INFO - FOR YOUR OWN GOOD PLEASE READ DON'T IGNORE.

I am now 5 days into my beard growing, or should I say non shaving. I was going to put an update on here when I hit £500 but that amount was hit very early on and so I held off. However, today I have checked my just giving page and the donations have now passed £2000... yep that's right £2000 wow!!!!

I have to thank everybody who has donated so far, I really never expected to get anywhere near this amount and I have felt quite emotional about the support of family, friends and business contacts. Of course the angling fraternity have also been very generous and it makes be very proud to be a part of our sport.

I've not got much hair to show off but here is the "mass" of bristles so far, far too many grey ones for my liking, lol!

The whole point of my fundraising and growing a beard is to help raise awareness of bowel cancer as it is the second biggest cancer killer. More than 41,000 people every year are diagnosed with bowel cancer, though it is relatively rare in the under 50s (yes I really am a lucky basard aren't I !).  Around. 2,100 people are diagnosed, under the age of 50, every year in the UK. However, currently too many younger patients are being diagnosed with a more advanced disease which makes treatment more difficult.  Knowing the symptoms of bowel cancer can help reduce this problem. (I waited 6 months before seeing my GP and that was far too long but I got lucky). It is important we know what the symptoms are, so read on.....


The symptoms of bowel (colorectal) cancer can be:
  • Bleeding from your bottom and/or blood in your poo
  • A change in bowel habit lasting for 3 weeks or more especially to looser or runny poo
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Extreme tiredness for no obvious reason
  • A pain or lump in your tummy
You might experience one, some, all of the above or no symptoms at all. Remember most symptoms will not be bowel cancer.

If you are worried about any symptoms that you think might be caused by bowel cancer, make an appointment with your doctor or call the Bowel Cancer UK Information and Support Service on 0800 8 40 35 40 or emailsupport@bowelcanceruk.org.uk
Just remember you'll not be wasting anyone's time by getting checked out. If it isn't serious, you'll put your mind at rest. If it's bowel cancer, early detection can make all the difference. Over 90% who are diagnosed at the earliest stage are successfully treated. So a trip to your doctor could save your life.
Once again here are the links for the bowel cancer website http://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/
and my just giving page if you have a few quid spare http://www.justgiving.com/Tim-Ford5
I'm off to the hospital Friday for another violation (lol, but not to much lol please) hopefully all will be fine again.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete